Job Description: Veterinary Assistant
General Job Description:
The Veterinary Assistant will assist the veterinarian in all tasks pertaining to the health and wellbeing of the animals being cared for at the Pet Pantry of Lancaster County and its medically related off site events. They will be responsible for the maintaining of the hospital area, interacting with client’s, foster parents, and members of the public regarding issues pertaining to veterinary care of the animals.
Job Requirements/Skills/Physical Demands
An employee in this position must have at minimum two years’ experience in the veterinary assistant field, have a strong desire to work with animals, show great compassion for their care, be able to recognize signs of basic illness and injury in animals, be able to work in a high stress environment, be able to handle and work with scared and aggressive animals, be able to stand and work on their feet for 6-8 hours a day, have great organizational skills, understand basic computer word processing and data management software, read and write in English, be able to lift dogs up to 50 pounds to chest height, be able to walk dogs up to 100 pounds safely, and be able to easily interact and work with various different departments in the Pantry.
- Help create and maintain records of all animals that are seen through the veterinary program
- Induce and maintain animals under anesthesia under the supervision of the veterinarian
- Check in and check out animals that are presented for medical/surgical procedures
- Prep animals for surgery
- Monitor animals during surgery and recovery
- Draw blood for basic testing purposes
- Restrain animals for procedures/exams
- Help schedule appointments for the spay/neuter service
- Assist in vaccine clinics
- Administer oral, injectable, and topical medications to animals
- Maintain inventory of medical supplies and order supplies as needed
- Keep the surgical suite clean and organized
- Assist the public and foster parents with basic medical concerns of their animals
- Maintain any drug logs
- Fill prescriptions for animals and properly label medication containers/vials
- Assist in the carrying out of feral cat TNR clinics
- Vaccinate animals under supervision of the veterinarian
- Use proper cleaning protocols to sanitize cages
- Other duties as assigned,
Medical Director and/or President
Hourly: Starting Hourly wage is determined by experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should send a resume and cover letter outlining how they meet the specific requirements of the position to:
Pet Pantry of Lancaster County, Inc.
26 Millersville Road
Lancaster, PA 17603
or email to
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.