Job Description: Animal Care & Front Desk Assistant
General Job Description:
The Animal Care & Front Desk Assistant will keep cages of animals in the building clean to the standards of the Rescue Director. They will follow proper cleaning protocols and ensure fresh food and water is available for every animal. They will also ensure that animals that are being treated for a condition, receive their proper medication. After cages are cleaned, it will be the job of the Animal Care and Front Desk Assistant to be sure the room is cleaned and restocked of supplies. After the cleaning and caring for the animals is complete, the Animal Care and Front Desk Assistant will assist with answering and returning phone calls, scheduling appointments, answering general questions, and covering the front desk position as needed.
Job Requirements/Skills/Physical Demands
An employee in this position must have a strong desire to work with animals, show great compassion for their care, be able to recognize signs of basic illness and injury in animals, be able to work in a high stress environment, be able to handle and work with scared and aggressive animals, be able to work in a team with volunteers to get tasks completed, be able to stand and work on their feet for several hours a day, have great organizational skills, have excellent customer service skills, understand basic computer, word processing and data management software, read and write in English, and be able to easily interact and work with various different departments in the Pantry.
- Use the proper cleaning protocols to sanitize cages, bowls, etc
- Administer oral, injectable, and topical medications to animals
- Recognize signs of basic illness and injury in animals
- Answer/Return phone calls to give general information to the public
- Help schedule appointments for the spay/neuter service
- Manage transactions for the thrift shop/etc at the front desk
- Other duties as assigned,
Rescue Director and/or President